POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here ! : Re: Suggestion (Was: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here !) Server Time
3 May 2024 01:08:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion (Was: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here !)
From: Rune
Date: 21 Apr 2000 12:14:23
Message: <39007e5f@news.povray.org>
"Fabien Mosen" wrote:
> Rune wrote:
> > The winner logo will be the logo that the most
> > people think is an excellent logo for POV-Ray.
> > It seems like you think that some people's
> > judgment is better than others.
>
> YES !  Would you prefer to let your neighbour
> decorate your house (or whatever), or would you
> better trust someone with some talent in that area ?

My neighbor doesn't live in *my* house, but if he did, I think he had the
right to decide things too.

Another example: Why are the people of America the ones to choose the
president? Why don't you leave the choice to the politicians, who are the
professionals? After all, is it about finding a winner, or is it about
finding an excellent president?

(That was NOT my opinion, it was the opposite!)

> > It might be true, but how can we say which people
> > have the "right" opinion? A question about which
> > logo is the better one is definitely a subjective
> > question. The answer will always depend on people's
> > opinions.
>
> Few things are really that subjective.  In this case
> (logo), we could easily sort out (by discussing it)
> a set of _criterias_, and evaluate the logos according
> to these criterias;

People have different opinions of which criterias the logo should match.
I don't want to be some kind of judge, so the only criteria I have made is
that the logo should be the best logo for POV-Ray.

> If, finally, more than one logo fulfills all the
> criterias, we could always vote to sort the "best
> liked", but we then will be sure that much
> objectivity was put in the process.

I don't agree, and I don't think we can come to an agreement because our
basic points of view are so different.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated March 15: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,