POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here ! : Re: Suggestion (Was: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here !) Server Time
17 May 2024 17:51:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion (Was: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here !)
From: Rune
Date: 20 Apr 2000 05:35:45
Message: <38fecf71$1@news.povray.org>
"Fabien Mosen" wrote:
> Rune wrote:
>
> > Isn't voting the only way in which all people have
> > evenly great influence on the results?
> > Won't discarding the results of the voting be to
> > doubt the judgment of people?
>
> What's your intention ?  Pick up a winner, or ending
> up with an excellent logo for Povray ?

The winner logo will be the logo that the most people think is an excellent
logo for POV-Ray.
It seems like you think that some people's judgment is better than others.
It might be true, but how can we say which people have the "right" opinion?

A question about which logo is the better one is definitely a subjective
question. The answer will always depend on people's opinions.

I don't want to judge which people have the better opinions, so I give all
people equal influence on the result.

By suggesting that a voting will not necessarily pick the best logo you are
saying that some people's opinions are not as good as others'. You may be of
that opinion, but I am not.

> > Discussion? Many people have voted/will vote in this
> > competition, but only a fraction of those will join
> > a discussion if one were to be made. I am sure of that.
>
> We don't need many people to discuss that.  We need a
> clever discussion, not a numerous one.

I think what I wrote above indicates my opinion on this.

> One more time, it's not about winning, it's about
> getting a good logo.

I think what I wrote above indicates my opinion on this.

> How can you think that a vote can sort the best logo ?  By experience,
> voting usually gives a priority to "less disliked" stuff, and passe by
> stronger choices... voting is a good indication, but is not sufficient.

I think what I wrote above indicates my opinion on this.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated March 15: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,