POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax? : Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:00:00 EDT (-0400)
  Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax?
From: Geoffrey Potvin
Date: 19 Apr 2000 09:26:52
Message: <38fdb41c@news.povray.org>
I have created several complex models (deeply nested CSGs) wherein the
smooth transitions between CSGs would greatly enhance the models.
Please refer to my posting of "Old Typewriter" in  the
povray.binaries.images and
Tor Olav Kristensen's posting in the same newsgroup entitled "playing with
CSGs".

I can't help thinking that Chris Colefax might get stirred up by these
possibilities as well as other such talented "POV-Ray" "plug-in" writers.

I am fairly advanced at playing around with the includes and placement of
such work in the POV-Ray scene language, unfortunately ...being more
artistically inclined, I have more of an aptitude for application of this
stuff ...not writing it.

What are the possibilities? ...or are there just too many possible variables
involved?

Having worked extensively in mesh based modelers, I can see the restrictions
in trying to create smooth transitions between primitives and CSG objects in
general. Meshes do not  have this problem, however, they never have those
remarkably smooth surfaces as rendered by primitives. Such a plug-in would
greatly enhance the possibilities of the POV-Ray rendering engine!

Geoffrey