POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macro-ripping >:) : Re: Macro-ripping >:) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macro-ripping >:)
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 30 Mar 2000 15:26:26
Message: <38e3b872@news.povray.org>
"Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote :

> I guarantee you will run into similar problems if you try linking directly
> to the resource pages at the various sites.

    Back when animated gifs were relatively new, I was one of the few folk
who made any large number of them for general distribution. Actually, I made
quite a good living doing so for about a year. But on my WEB page I had a
whole pile of samples and people kept trying to build their page by linking
to my images instead of downloading them and posting them on their own
server.

    I would have 30,000 hits on one .gif file and only 3 on my page...

    So I got a program, I forget the name now, but it's only purpose was to
find all the .gif files on your site and rename them incrementally. Worked
Great! I would run that about once a week and at first I got a bunch of
nasty E-Mail from people who thought it was unfair of me not to provide free
bandwidth with my free artwork. I loved getting those posts...