POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macro-ripping >:) : Re: Macro-ripping >:) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macro-ripping >:)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 29 Mar 2000 06:07:08
Message: <38e1e3dc@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message
| Ken wrote:
|
| > Many people put in a lot of time and effort publishing their web pages
| > and offer some POV-Ray related materials to attract visitors to their
| > site. If you collect all of the resources available from the hundreds
| > of sites out there, and put it into one monster collection, there will
| > be no reason for people to visit the other web pages. Besides making
| > a lot of web pages instantly obsolete I am sure you also run the risk
| > of hurting the feeling of more than just a few people who enjoy having
| > regular visitors to their sites.
|
| Agreed. People who write complex macros usually make sure that they are
presented
| in the best possible form, with example files, help files, related
| pictures/animations, version history and so on. This is a form of service for
the
| "customer" that is an important part of the work of writing macros. I have
always
| supported the idea of having a central repository for macros and other
| pov-related stuff, which could be very practical indeed, but I think that this
| kind of job must be done right, with a proper presentation of the material
| offered that requires not only the agreement but also the cooperation of the
| author. I have come across this type of "bundling" and often the poor
| organisation didn't make it as useful as it should have been.
|
| G.

I'm agreeing too, it's obvious that centralization is a great way to do things
of this type.  That's why I see it as such "a rock and a hard place".  I can't
imagine anyone not wanting such a thing, and yet everyone wants to have their
personal space as well, a place to call home on the WWW.
Granted there's a large variation on the reasoning behind personal web pages
more than just ego but there's such a large sharing concept that goes on that it
becomes like a park where flowers are picked because of a lack of Do Not signs
or even more so as if there are signs which say Have a Flower.
Anyway it's not something I think can easily be figured out one way or the other
unless there are rules written in stone.  You could argue that there's a golden
rule of sorts but which one is it?  The one that says Keep Out or the one that
says Nature Trail (hope you'll forgive me for my attempt at metaphor).
Again all I'm saying is that if it's not written down on a web page or within a
downloaded file someplace then it's not possible to discern well enough and
therefore the trail is most likely to be walked.
To the original message posted, the question being put to the several people
that might see it here and even fewer who respond isn't going to get anywhere
about this idea.
The only reasonable option is to go looking for people everywhere not just here
and if not the people look for the macros, includes, scene files, etc. and see
if they are gatherable by the reckoning of what's said at the places they
originate from.  A lot of work to do but I see no other feasible way.  Like
emailing around and promoting this web page of stuff in the usual manner.  Ah,
and then there comes spamming....
I just can't imagine this ever being easy to do one way or the other.  Got my
well-wishing though.

P.S.
The POV-Ray Ring is about as close to a nice compromise as it gets and I can
only roam from site to site just so much each time I go looking around.  Not
only that, first the people have to join up with that to begin with and I'm sure
everyone doesn't nearly do so.  Anyway, this always brings up what I believe is
very likely to be a frustration of many people.  www.povray.org is what you'd
expect to be THE place of places but it too can't be simply because of the
tendency to scatter or not bother to try and merge.  Makes it all the more
obvious how little of my own stuff I manage to get out onto the 'net.

Bob