POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : For Bob Hughes : Re: For Bob Hughes Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For Bob Hughes
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 18 Mar 2000 03:46:29
Message: <38d34265@news.povray.org>
Hey, first of all thanks guys for even relating me to that movie, no matter how
misguided your souls may be :-)
I've only seen a commercial for the thing twice now.  Had no idea it was going
into the theaters already.
I have to say my animation was in part due to having driven a motorcycle (the
broken down heap resides at my Dad's farm place still) through a volcanic ash
storm(?) one day while travelling to Mt St. Helens 100 miles south of where I
lived.  I was 21 years old at the time and I went another time in my '69 Toyota
Corona onto the logging roads that had rock laid down for the trucks the size of
softballs and larger.  That was interesting in itself but I had also driven
through a stony ford of a river (a foot or more deep) back where I lived in it
carrying two girls on the roof to get to a party on the other side.
Anyway the ash was blowing across the I-5 freeway and it was comparable to a
blizzard except very "dusty" instead and it started off in billowing clouds from
the west.  Not a volcanic eruption, just wind blown. Just before the wind
started up I had been through Chehalis where I saw people shoveling ash off of
building roofs and the ash depth was several inches with deeper drifts, this
being on the western side where accumulation was light.
I never saw the eastern side where it must've been incredible.  And I bet you
wish you had never said anything now since I tend to blab on and on.

Bob