POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-file that crashes POV-Ray : Re: POV-file that crashes POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-file that crashes POV-Ray
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 17 Mar 2000 09:38:02
Message: <38d2434a@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>  As far as this being a verifiable bug I will go by Ron Parker's
philosophy
> that anything that crashes the program is a bug and should be reported.
> It is clear that a good short example has been provided that can
reproducibly
> cause the crash to happen on more than one machine. The next step is to
> hopefully get one of the programmers to step in and offer an explanation
> as to why it is happening. Even if is does not get a comment by one of
> the programmers the offending code and details of the problem should
> be submitted to povray.bugreports on this server. The bug report should
> mention that the bug has be confirmed by a couple of different people
> here in .general. The POV-Team can track down and fix the problem from
> there.
>
> If any help is needed in posting or wording the bug report let me know
> and I'll do what I can to help.

My only concern is that this looks to be a compiler issue rather than a
POV-Ray source code bug.  This was my reason for requesting some further
testing. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to test a WatCom compiler with
various debugging and optimisation settings - are there any copies of WatCom
compiled POV out there that don't crash with the code posted at the top of
this thread?