POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions : Re: The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 16 Mar 2000 08:59:20
Message: <38d0e8b8@news.povray.org>
Nigel Stewart <nig### [at] nigelscom> wrote:
:> >   Povray is NOT a windows program.

: 	It isn't?  I wonder what I installed on my Windows NT box
: 	then...  A forgery?  A fake?

  Nope, povray is an ANSI-C program. It has been ported to several platforms,
like Windows, but that doesn't make it a Windows program. The binary you
installed is a windows compile of the program, but povray itself is not a
windows program.

: 	Lets get serious.  When POV came out, the command line
: 	was the standard thing, DOS, UNIX, lowest common
: 	denominator.  Now we have a Windows GUI, a Mac GUI,
: 	but we're still running around talking about portability.
:
: 	That's silly.

  Nope, it's not silly. Many people are using povray in a wide variety of
platforms (which support or don't graphical user interfaces).

: 	It's possible to write platform independent code in
: 	C++ - but it's not enforced.  The same philosophy should
: 	apply to POV.

  No it shouldn't. Povray has to be able to compile in any platform which
has the proper compiler. Portability is a very serious issue.
  I understand why most windows users just can't understand how someone likes
to use something else than windows and graphical programs.

: 	Things like POV-CSDL - grafting an interpreted C'ish
: 	kind of thing onto POV - goes to show the extreme
: 	measures we'd need to enforce the portablity of
: 	pov scenes

  Pov scenes and the povray source code are two completely different things.
Don't mix them.