POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 16 Mar 2000 04:10:03
Message: <38d0a4eb@news.povray.org>
Jon A. Cruz <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
: and here is how the second one looks

: x = 2;
: foo(x);
: // what is x? 5

  Java is not any better:

Complex x(2,0);
foo(x);
// Did x change?

: Regarding operator overloading, yes I think it has it's place in C++. But I have
seen
: it used in actual production code in ways that have actually caused real bugs and
: problems for maintenance. If everyone who ever works at a company is in that small
: percentage of programmers who are an order of mangnatude more productive, then good.
If
: not...

  Again, if we remove everything dangerous, no matter how useful, what do
we have?
  Nothing, I think. Everything can be used wrong.

: Another thing that Java does differently is that usually you can only get a single
: value returned from a method.

  How do you get more than one value returned from a method in C++?
  Of course you can get a class (or struct) instance, but it's still just one
value.

  I'm not saying that Java is a bad language. It's safer and often more
pleasant to look at than C++. It's harder to make bad programming with it
(although possible).
  I just don't like the limits it imposes. Sorry :)