POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mathematics for lines in 3D space : Re: mathematics for lines in 3D space Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mathematics for lines in 3D space
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 13 Mar 2000 18:31:24
Message: <38cd7a4c@news.povray.org>
Erick <ejv### [at] wxsnl> wrote:
> I wondered if there is an easy way to make threedimensional curves using a
> mathematical function, ideally precisely between two points . How could
this
> be done in POV-ray?
>
> Previously, many people made spirals by combining a lot of spheres with
> their coordinates following a spiral calculation. Isn't there a more
> appropriate and direct way to do so? And, more interestingly,  following
> completely different paths.

If you use only spheres, then obviously many will be required to give a
smooth path along your desired function curve.  Other possibilities are to
use spheres connected by cylinders/cones (although you still need quite a
few for a smooth result) or torus segments (not necessarily very accurate),
smooth triangles (most flexible, but perhaps harder to program), bicubic
patches (an extension of the triangles), or blobs (which have the great
advantage of being CSG'able, perfectly smooth, and quick to raytrace).
Given a function, you should be able to create a while loop that will place
your objects along the path in the way you want.

For examples of how the different techniques can be used along spline paths,
you can preview my Spline Macro System at
http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/spline