POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 13 Mar 2000 10:04:40
Message: <38cd0388$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> I will post a "concept sketch" of the language design in a few
minutes.
> It is incomplete, but should give an idea of what I am thinking.
> I have never written a parser before, so that might be a little
> difficult(well, a simple keyword-value thing, but that doesn't really
> count). But I guess I have to learn sometime... :-)
> I do have a couple ideas about parsing the language, I think it would
be
> easiest to parse the scene into a data structure and then have the
data
> structure output the POV code for each scene element.

Just don't reinvent the wheel!

Parsing and compiling is a well researched subject in computer science.
I recommend that you take a look at lex/yacc for example
One of the standard books is: "The Theory and Practice of Compiler
Writing" by Jean-Paul Tremblay and Paul G. Sorenson (McGraw Hill). It
covers everything you need...
(you probably have it already :)

Johannes