POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question about bicubic patches : Re: Question about bicubic patches Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about bicubic patches
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 10 Mar 2000 08:09:29
Message: <38c8f409@news.povray.org>
David Curtis <spa### [at] junkmailcom> wrote:
: I've just read from the docs that POV converts the bicubic patch into
: triangles. My question is why? It seems obvious that it must have something
: to do with
: computation time, and the fact that there is no great advantage to spending
: the time calculating a intersection point for every ray. Does that sound
: right?

  Well, the documentation says:

"The keyword type is followed by a float Patch_Type which currently
must be either 0 or 1. For type 0 only the control points are retained
within POV-Ray. This means that a minimal amount of memory is needed
but POV-Ray will need to perform many extra calculations when trying
to render the patch. Type 1 preprocesses the patch into many
subpatches. This results in a significant speedup in rendering at the
cost of memory."

  I understand this to mean that the patch is not converted to triangles if
it's of type 0 (at least at parse time).