POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Sebastian Strand
Date: 9 Mar 2000 17:19:53
Message: <38c82389@news.povray.org>
> new POV-script I am thinking of is fully backwards compatible i.e. you
should
> still be able to just describe a scene in no particular order, just as you
> always have. Some OO-features will hopefully be possible, but you will not
> have to write #declare MySphere1 = new sphere(<0,0,0>, new size(0.5), new
> texture(new pigment(color new vector(<1,1,1>)))));  [...] you should be
able to
> access the attributes of the objects in the scene, for example: #declare
> camera.location = MySphere1.location - <0,0,5>;

These are exactly the kind of modifications/additions I would like to see
too. Not being able to access the location / other properties of an object
without saving it to a variable is a major inconvenience. Each object could
have a name property, so when declaring you would do something like
sphere {
    <0, 0, 0>, 1
     name "Sphere 1"
}

and the sphere could then be accessed like
Sphere1.texture = texture { texWood }
Sphere1.translate(<0, 0, 10>)

A thing that would be very useful would be to be able to add your own
methods and properties to an object, like:
Sphere1.AddMethod("Spin", "vecRot")
Sphere1.Spin = function {
    #local vecPos = Me.position
    Me.translate(-vecPos)
    Me.rotate(vecRot)
    Me.translate(vecPos)
}

Sphere1.Spin(<0, 90, 0>)

This would not interfere with 'normal' pov scripting, but would really make
pov very versatile for advanced users. I do program as a hobby though, so I
don't know what non-programmers might think.

Just my two Finnish "penni"...