POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 9 Mar 2000 04:59:33
Message: <38c77605@news.povray.org>
I don't think I could explain the reason why pov-script is my favorite choice so
easily to begin with and that's why I've had little trouble continuing to use it
all this time.  I used Polyray before ever seeing POV-Ray and I was just getting
used to using that, the text interfacing I mean.  First time I had ever
"raytraced" via text was in Polyray.
And since the time I started in on POV-Ray I have tried BMRT and didn't even
begin to get accustomed to it.  I think it should be kept in mind that POV has
changed considerably over the years and hasn't always been like it is now, yet
it still has a similar "language" over all that time.
Got to admit that Nathan's #$ keyword (or syntax) as a shortcut to #declare is
kind of what I think of when I hear this programmer versus 3D graphics
enthusiast debate or differing opinions.
The most certain fact to me is the understandability of the code(?).  Less
meaningful keywords and syntax is less easy to follow obviously.  Now I'm not
saying I always like writing out a whole bunch more than I might otherwise be
doing if the language were condensed further (I often use cryptic definition
names for things) but I always see this programming discussion to be about
losing sight of a followable format.  Like if every current keyword were a
letter or two instead and the syntax glued together like pieces in other
programming languages (assuming I know anything about what I'm saying) then I'd
get lost without some serious roadmap mentality to get me through it okay.
That said, I know how some people can't see what the heck POV-Ray is at all with
it's curly braces and hash marks and parenthesis so they might shy away from
trying to learn it, that's what makes it a text interface anyhow.  You almost
have to think of the visual appearance of a ASCII character-only language in
order to sort the parts out.  That is of course the usual programming technique
too I suppose, to make what's typed a visual queue.
I'm rambling on here so to sum up I'm only trying to say POV-Ray has it's niche
with the form it is written in same as any other such language.  It has always
seemed very straight-forward to me though.  I just hope it doesn't ever become a
thing where the newcomer or accustomed user is stumbling through while building
a scene.  Common sense, huh?

Bob