POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : MegaPov? : Re: MegaPov? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 05:48:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Mar 2000 19:20:58
Message: <38c44b6a$1@news.povray.org>
In article <38C442A4.64666004@spiritone.com> , Josh English
<eng### [at] spiritonecom>  wrote:

> What I don't understand tho, is that on every Mac I've tested it on, Mega Pov
> renders faster than the official version. That's what I don't get. I thought
> the actual rendering procedure was the same.

And I have never, on now five different Macs - only three with an Mac OS
installed by myself - managed to reproduce this.  In fact, MacMegaPOV is
significantly slower as on all other platforms when I test it.
And indeed, before MegaPOV, there was no real difference between the
versions except the different ways preview is implemented.

And as these facts (and after all it is even the same compiler) don't leave
any other conclusion, it is all due to user error - or actually, the failure
of the official version to default to the fastest setting after being
installed...

Solution: POV-Ray 3.5 for Mac will default to the fastest setting. I can
already see users complaining about the low responsiveness of POV-Ray while
rendering, but what can I do? :-(

    Thorsten

PS: If you have a new Mac around with nothing else but POV-Ray installed (as
you don't want me to invade your private system), and that Mac has a fast
network connection, there would be a way to figure out what is going wrong
on your site:
The free VNC at <http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/> is a free client and
server application allowing another user to exactly see and use the screen
of another system.

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.