POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Group? : Re: New Group? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Group?
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 6 Mar 2000 08:08:53
Message: <38c3ade5$1@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" wrote:

> Images with questions
> associated with them might be useful in the long run as well and not just
> discardable space-wasters.  I mean, what's a question and answer without
the
> image(s) that show it.

    Well, again, this is not intended to discard any images that -are- worth
keeping, but rather to prevent it. The p.b.i. group is filling up the server
and there was discussion about deleting some of the images. Rather than have
this be done purely by date of posting, I suggest creating a second
binary.images group where people might post images that they feel do -not-
have permanent value. Again, if there turns out to be public interest,
either re-post it to the main group, or post the text.scene-file.

    With an expiration date of several months or a year, and people like
Peter who archive all posts, I don't see things getting lost beyond recall
as long as there is any enduring value to them.

> I don't want to disrupt the idea but I also don't want to see things gets
lost.

    That is why I made this suggestion. I don't want things to get lost. But
it seems that some things -will- be lost at some point, we just have to
decide whether we want to -choose- what gets lost, or leave that up to the
ticking of the clock.