POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Multiprocessor versions of POV? : Re: Multiprocessor versions of POV? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multiprocessor versions of POV?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Mar 2000 16:49:28
Message: <38bd9068$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:09:46 +0100, Karl Pelzer wrote:

>But honestly I'm not satisfied yet.

THERE IS NO MULTITHREADED VERSION OF POV-RAY.  PERIOD.

If you really must know why, go read one of the dozens of threads over in
povray.programming, or even in this very group, that cover that topic in
excruciating detail.  The short version, though, is that coding properly
for multiple threads isn't as easy as Microsoft wants you to believe it is.

Besides, process switches are nearly as fast as thread switches, so what's
the problem with the solutions presented so far?