POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation encoders : Re: Animation encoders Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation encoders
From: Jetlag
Date: 28 Feb 2000 22:38:52
Message: <38bb3f4c@news.povray.org>
> I'm trying to make an animation, but I can't get it smaller than 2Mb.
> Which software do you use?
> My lowest Mpeg quality is millions of colors, which is a bit much (2Mb).
> An avi with 256 colors gives a file of 18Mb.
> I like to post it on povray.binaries.animations but it's quite a bit to
> big in this way.
> Does anyone has any cuggestions for software? (Linux please).(A GUI wiil
> be apreciated, since I have to do complex timings).

I'm not a Linux guy so I can't offer any software suggestions, but if you
want to make the mpeg smaller there are a few routes.  First, try to find an
mpeg encoder that allows you to specify the bitrate; smaller bitrates =
smaller files. Some animations respond better to lowered bitrate than
others. Also, you might try scaling the frame size down.  Lastly, cut
frames; sometimes you might find you even like it better going twice as fast
;).  All of these things will help to chop your mpeg down to size, but they
will also reduce the quality of it, so use caution.

One more thing, many many times you just can't get a small enough file, so
if you really can't bare to cut up your mpeg any more, try to find a
reasonable web server to upload it to and leave the address in p.b.a...
people do it all the time.

Sorry I can't help you with the software, but I'm sure someone here can.