POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The slow part : Re: The slow part Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The slow part
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 26 Feb 2000 10:54:36
Message: <38b7f73c@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote :

> What does that mean, "projecting down into"?

    Well, actually it means what I said the first time, the isosurface
intersects the media container. They overlap. They share some points in
space. Part of the isosurface is above the media container and part of it is
inside the media container. There is a volume which is isosurface, a volume
which is media container and a volume which could be said to be both
isosurface -and- media container.

    So as not to give away exactly what I am doing, although I do appreciate
you giving it some thought, imagine that there is a foot dangling into
water, the foot is my isosurface, the water is the media. That part of the
image in which you can see part of the foot under the water is the slow
part.

> The max_trace_level

    Ah, default. No reflection, and only the transparency of the media
container. It's down to about one point per 10 minutes. Fortunately it is
only a dozen points across and 8 -10 lines deep.