POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mac slow? : Re: Mac slow? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac slow?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 Feb 2000 09:41:20
Message: <38b54310@news.povray.org>
In article <38B4DE89.8474C3DD@pobox.com> , Anton Sherwood <bro### [at] poboxcom>
wrote:

> I recently replaced my Mac clone (PPC, 180 MHz) with a Linux box (K7,
> 550 MHz).  I installed povray and found it surprisingly fast.  How
> fast?  I tried a scene that I remembered as taking three hours, and it
> was done in 8m 21s.
>
> With a 3x difference in nominal CPU speed, why this 20x difference in
> rendering?
> Does the Mac compiler fail to use the math chip efficiently?  Is the
> math chip just crap?

You had preview on when comparing, right?  Are you sure you had the exact
same setup (hard to get without INI files)?
See <http://mac.povray.org/help_info.html#why_slow> how to "tune" your Mac
to deliver optimal performance when running POV-Ray Mac 3.1g.r2.

      Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde