POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What should gamma be? : Re: What should gamma be? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What should gamma be?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 23 Feb 2000 18:48:32
Message: <38b471d0@news.povray.org>
Heck no, you don't want to run the monitor at highest contrast since you'd
probably get a bad looking screen and ruin your monitor  :-)
If the number you get isn't 2.2 for that test then that's why you do the test in
the first place, to find out if it's actually needing to be different.  You're
supposed to readjust the brightness or contrast (I forget which) after turning
it all the way up or down anyway, not leave it at max or min.
And I think you set the Display_Gamma= in the Povray.ini file to the number you
find is most correct.  At least I think so, or it's the assumed_gamma you adjust
with, I'm not at all sure.  Luckily mine turned out to be 2.1 so it was probably
isn't too drastic a change (but I did set the Display_Gamma in the INI file.
I could have tried readjusting gamma in the video card software but it was too
close to 2.2 for messing with that I figured.
I have my brightness knob (yep the old-fashioned non-digital kind) 1 turn from
the dark end out of three turns in total (so 1/3 brightness).  The contrast knob
is 1/3 the way from most contrast (whiter whites, blacker blacks) end of the
potentiometer.  Which has always been typical of my monitor settings of the past
3 I've owned.

Bob