POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : speculation ... : Re: speculation ... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: speculation ...
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 18 Feb 2000 17:05:16
Message: <38adc21c@news.povray.org>
I'll go with the non-AA as being faster than with AA up until the image
resolution is doubled, in which case I'd say the AA could win the render-time
race when it's half the resolution of the non-AA one.  But then it is very
scene-dependant stuff as the others are saying and +a0.1 is mighty slow if
there's much of any sort of pixel to pixel variances.
If I can guess you're "average" scene is like the shapes.pov file used for
testing POV-Ray after install then non-AA almost always wins :-)
I tried renders of shapes.pov just now at 512x384 -a, and 320x240 +a0.1 and the
non-AA one took only about 91% of the time it took to do the AA one, relatively
close really.

Bob