POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : traingle vs. smooth triangle : Re: traingle vs. smooth triangle Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: traingle vs. smooth triangle
From: Lance Birch
Date: 18 Feb 2000 06:24:08
Message: <38ad2bd8@news.povray.org>
>     I haven't looked at the details in nearly two decades but ... is it
that one
> creates a vector out of the vertex averaging the angle of the two sides
and
> pointing in the plane. Then two other triangles meet at the same vertex.
The three
> vectors are averaged and normalized and thus the mesh point angle. And
then that
> is averaged for midpoints with normal to the center of each triangle.

Half of those sentences didn't seem to make any sense at all to me.  "The
three vectors are averaged and normalized and thus the mesh point angle."
Wha?

>     And then how many times it is interated is how smooth it is.

Why iterate?  It's an interpolating function.

>     The rational rendering routine works backwards from the desired screen
> resolution and determines the number of interations required so as to have
less
> than a pixels difference.

It's resolution independent already.  It's a texture normal perturbation
function, there's no added geometry...

>     What I have not seen in any writeup is image resolution being a
consideration
> in rendering.

Adaptive Degradation.

--