POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Good MPEG results? : Re: Good MPEG results? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Good MPEG results?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 13 Feb 2000 13:28:49
Message: <38a6f7e1@news.povray.org>
That dust storm was done with CMpeg.  Default setup in fact.
Far as I know all Mpeg files are going to be similar in appearance to partially
compressed Jpeg images.  It will depend a lot on the amount of motion and the
colors.  I have MGI Videowave II which can do either Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 at different
data rates.  It doesn't seem any better really and can be a much larger file,
also much slower to encode (I never use verbose output when using CMpeg).
Of course that isn't to say there might be better encoders than others, I just
haven't seen any if there is.  It could be that you are using too low a data
rate, to make a guess as to the graininess you keep getting.

Bob