POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here ! : Re: Suggestion (Was: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here !) Server Time
17 May 2024 16:50:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion (Was: POV-Ray Logo Competition - Vote Here !)
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 20 Apr 2000 08:33:45
Message: <38FEF868.1FDB6BE0@skynet.be>
Rune wrote:
> The winner logo will be the logo that the most people think is an excellent
> logo for POV-Ray.
> It seems like you think that some people's judgment is better than others.

YES !  Would you prefer to let your neighbour decorate your house (or
whatever),
or would you better trust someone with some talent in that area ?

> It might be true, but how can we say which people have the "right" opinion?
> A question about which logo is the better one is definitely a subjective
> question. The answer will always depend on people's opinions.

Few things are really that subjective.  In this case (logo), we could
easily sort out (by discussing it) a set of _criterias_, and evaluate
the logos according to these criterias; pretty objective way of doing
things, caus' it's easy to discern if a logo match or do not match
a well defined criteria.  It would have been better if these criterias
were set _before_ people started designing logos, but it's not too late.

If, finally, more than one logo fulfills all the criterias, we
could always vote to sort the "best liked", but we then will be sure
that much objectivity was put in the process.

We have the chance to be a wide communauty, and it helps getting
as many good ideas as possible.  Reducing the product of such a
potential creativity to a single-vote-choice is regrettable.

> I think what I wrote above indicates my opinion on this.
> I think what I wrote above indicates my opinion on this.

Me too :-))

Fabien.