POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : instant appearance : Re: instant appearance Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: instant appearance
From: Ken
Date: 18 Apr 2000 23:12:10
Message: <38FD23C3.DF54931C@pacbell.net>
Rick Adams wrote:

> In article <38fd13e9@news.povray.org>, "Bob Hughes"
> <per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:
>
> > If you want multiple instances the thing to do is use #switch with
> > #range.  These directives are practically made for
> > animation.  Example:
> >
> > #switch (clock)
> > #range (0.3,0.5) // for a 0 to 1 clock
> > // do the ray here
> > #break
> > #end
>
> Does that mean that the other example won't let you do multiples? I used
> it in my currently rendering animation, but just once, and it seemed to
> work fine and I can't see why you couldn't use it for multiple death
> rays, or whatever. What is the advantage this way? (I know there must be
> one, I just don't see it.)
>
> RA

I don't do much animation work but I believe the difference is that the
first example will cause the death ray to appear at clock cycle 0.5 and
persist until it reaches a value of one - until the last frame of the
animation. With the second example you can have the death ray appear at
a clock value of 0.3 and then dissapear at the clock value of 0.5. The
second method offers a little more flexibility than does the first.