POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray 3.1g and russian letters and fonts : Re: povray 3.1g and russian letters and fonts Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.1g and russian letters and fonts
From: Ken
Date: 16 Apr 2000 15:32:47
Message: <38FA1523.FF44673@pacbell.net>
Dmirty Bystrov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there anybody fromRussia here?
>
> I am a programmer from Russia. I create computer graphics and
> animation for educational programs. I use PovRay about four years.
>
> I used PovRay 3.00.msdos.wat-cwa. Now I want to use PovRay 3.1g, but I
> have a problem with russian fonts. I was not able to use unicode fonts
> in PovRay 3.0, but I used non-unicode fonts. Now I can not use russian
> fonts entirely. Why? I think that a code page does not check with the
> russian code page. For Windows 95 the russian code page is 1251.
> PovRay 3.1 has a lot of new and I would like to use it. What must I do
> to render russian letters with PovRay 3.1? Please, help me.
>
> I have attached a zip-archive with a example of using russian letters and
> a russian ttf-fonts "baltica". I think this file is not very large.
>
> Please write me by e-mail: bd### [at] nicaru
> Thanking you in anticipation
>                       Dmitry

There is a patched version of POV-Ray v3.1 that *should* be able to
handle this type of font. You will have to have use this custom
executable pvengine.exe file instead of the one that comes with
the official version of the program. I am not positive it will
work but if I understand the problem correctly it should. This
patch will also have all of the features that comes with the
official version so you can use the new features avaiable in
POV-Ray v3.1.

You can download this patch from the following location (bottom of page)-
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4453/unipatch/