POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Ken
Date: 1 Apr 2000 06:37:51
Message: <38E5DFC1.E9C7465F@pacbell.net>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Ken wrote:

> > > The potential for POV-Ray is much more than POV script.
> >
> > POV-Ray will always be defined by the language fed to the rendering
> > engine. The statement "The lagnuage *IS* POV-Ray" is a valid one.
> >

> It seems that what seems confusing to a few people here is that in other 3D
> packages (and particularly the high-end ones) there is an apparently
> clear-cut separation between the scene-design abilities and the rendering
> ones. You often see pictures "created with A, rendered with B". This is
> obviously a quite efficient way to do things, since you have the best of
> both worlds.
> However, POV is a free, amateur tool. AFAIK, people who use it usually don't
> have much the choice when it come to scene design and rendering : it's
> either POV or nothing at all. At best, some of us can afford commercial
> utilities like Poser or Rhino. Those who can afford (or are willing to use
> pirated versions of) Max or Softimage, or have enough programming skills to
> use BMRT and learn the RIB specifications, have already done so.
> So, for the rest of us who stick with POV, there's no particular reason to
> make a difference between the language and the renderer, because it is the
> intricate mixing of the two that makes the software usable in the first
> place.
> G.

The important destinction between POV-Ray and many of the commercial
packages is the fact that POV-Ray does not provide an integrated
modelling environment such as many of the programs you listed. It
never was intended to. It's language does however help in the quest
to describe an image and any number of external tools can help in
the process.

 One thing I still don't understand is why people want POV-Ray to
talk to other programs.