POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macro-ripping >:) : Re: Macro-ripping >:) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macro-ripping >:)
From: Ken
Date: 30 Mar 2000 14:50:52
Message: <38E3B05D.F08A4FA0@pacbell.net>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:

> > But isn't that what I am already doing with the links collection at povray.org ?
> >
> Oh.  I thought you always linked to the main-page of the site.

Out of self defense I am starting to but originally I tried to link to the
relevant page where the resource was located. The problem is that when people
do work on their web pages they have a nasty habit of renaming their sub
pages and in consequence breaking my link to it. This has caused me a lot
of work having to go back and trying to locate the correct address for the
resource I am listing. I have almost given up on this and instead just list
the entry page so I don't have to work as hard to maintain the links in working
order. You will still find a large mix of links in the collection, some that
take you to the resource page, and others to the main page instead.

I guarantee you will run into similar problems if you try linking directly
to the resource pages at the various sites. I have another advantage over
you. As the links page maintainer at povray.org I am pretty well known now.
When people change the contents, or address, of their site they take the time
to send me an e-mail notifying my of the change. Until I was given that
special distinction I seldom was warned when a resource was moved or changed.
It has really helped keeping the links active and up-to-date.