POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macro-ripping >:) : Re: Macro-ripping >:) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macro-ripping >:)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 29 Mar 2000 03:57:51
Message: <38E1C5CE.CF5E9960@inapg.inra.fr>
Ken wrote:

> Many people put in a lot of time and effort publishing their web pages
> and offer some POV-Ray related materials to attract visitors to their
> site. If you collect all of the resources available from the hundreds
> of sites out there, and put it into one monster collection, there will
> be no reason for people to visit the other web pages. Besides making
> a lot of web pages instantly obsolete I am sure you also run the risk
> of hurting the feeling of more than just a few people who enjoy having
> regular visitors to their sites.

Agreed. People who write complex macros usually make sure that they are presented
in the best possible form, with example files, help files, related
pictures/animations, version history and so on. This is a form of service for the
"customer" that is an important part of the work of writing macros. I have always
supported the idea of having a central repository for macros and other
pov-related stuff, which could be very practical indeed, but I think that this
kind of job must be done right, with a proper presentation of the material
offered that requires not only the agreement but also the cooperation of the
author. I have come across this type of "bundling" and often the poor
organisation didn't make it as useful as it should have been.

G.