POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macro-ripping >:) : Re: Macro-ripping >:) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macro-ripping >:)
From: Ken
Date: 29 Mar 2000 03:00:51
Message: <38E1B312.3B622652@pacbell.net>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:

> There's an old and rather cynical piece of wisdom that says it's easier
> to apologize for something than it is to get permission in the first place.
>
> My advice would be to go ahead and compile such a collection. If no one
> complains, it doesn't matter whether what you're doing is "right" or
> "wrong". Sure, that's morally bankrupt, but we don't exactly live in a
> perfect world to start with.. and it won't end if someone has to ask
> that their files be taken down.

That's morally bankrupt.

 From the perspective of collecting material from this news server it
may not be as much of an issue. Taking material from peoples web pages,
without asking, however is another issue altogether.

Many people put in a lot of time and effort publishing their web pages
and offer some POV-Ray related materials to attract visitors to their
site. If you collect all of the resources available from the hundreds
of sites out there, and put it into one monster collection, there will
be no reason for people to visit the other web pages. Besides making
a lot of web pages instantly obsolete I am sure you also run the risk
of hurting the feeling of more than just a few people who enjoy having
regular visitors to their sites.

I personally never would, and never have, put someone else's material
on my own web page without first asking permission. I would consider
it in very poor taste to do so and it would show that a person has
very little regard or respect for copyright law. I think there is a
strong moral justification to contact the owner of the material for
permission prior to inclusion into any such collection.