POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Another question on backward compatibility : Re: Another question on backward compatibility Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another question on backward compatibility
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 18 Mar 2000 08:27:24
Message: <38D38454.E894A02@inapg.inra.fr>
Serge LAROCQUE wrote:

> Would it be easier to distribute the old binaries instead of keeping the
> new binaries backward compatible? (I am not advocating either option,
> just asking)

A scene is often constituted of various bits and parts. Some may have been
made specifically for the current scene, others may be derived from previous
scenes, or from pov script produced by utilities. While it's good practice
to convert the old scripts to the newer syntax, it's not always easy or
straightforward. For instance, when Nathan Kopp changed (for the better,
since it fixed an old bug) the implementation of "normals" in Megapov, it
automatically ruined most of the scenes that had normals in it, because you
have to change and test the normal statement of all your previous textures.
So Megapov 0.4 has now a version switch that makes it easier to use
pre-Megapov textures.
The other issue is about utilities. There are a lot of POV related utilities
(macros, include files, binaries), but most are no longer updated and still
output "old" pov syntax. It always take time before such utilities are
replaced by newer ones.

G.