POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-file that crashes POV-Ray : Re: POV-file that crashes POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-file that crashes POV-Ray
From: Ken
Date: 17 Mar 2000 23:03:30
Message: <38D2FF18.80C2B207@pacbell.net>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> If you guys now are sure it is a bug and that it should
> be reported, I will be glad to do so if it makes it go
> away any sooner.

It probably will not go away until POV-Ray v3.5 is released
(exact date unknown).

> But I have never reported a bug before, so therefore
> I would appreciate any help to do that.
>
> One concern of mine is that it seems like some of you
> know more about the error than me:
>
> Would it be more natural that the one of you that know
> most about the nature of the error, posts the report?
>
> I have noticed that several other users have replied
> with reports of problems with the file I posted.
> Is it necessary to get reports from more users?

I think there has been enough platform verification and follow-up
information on this that a properly worded bug report can now be
posted.

A properly worded bug report will include the following:

1. You computer system - OS type and version, system ram, processor

2. POV-Ray version and compiler used - i.e. POV-Ray for Windows v3.1g watcom

3. Describe the nature of the problem in as much detail as you can.

4. Provide a sample of code than can be used to reproduce the problem.

5. Provide a list of platforms that the bug has been verified on.
   It wouldn't hurt to mention that a POV-Ray TAG member has
   verified that this is a bug.

  I would also suggest you include Nigel's latest observations
on what is causing the problems including the source he posted.
Include this at the bottom of the bug report.

  If you feel comfortable about posting this bug report on your
own feel free to do so. Your bug report will not appear immediately
in povray.bugreports as it is a moderated group and will have to
be approved before being posted there. This may take a day or
to before appearing in that group.

  If you are not comfortable posting a bug report let us know
and I or one of the other POV-Ray TAG members will do it for
you.