POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions : Re: The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions
From: Nigel Stewart
Date: 17 Mar 2000 06:57:10
Message: <38D177E8.FB467C3C@nigels.com>
> *boggle*  You're saying it would be good to be able to make POV scenes that
> don't render on every platform for a given version of POV?  Can we just send
> all the support questions to you?  What color is the sky in your world?

	Ron, there is no difference between supporting an
	extension mechanism explicitly, and having scenes
	that are specific to SuperPatch, MegaPatch, or
	ImpPov.  The difference with an official mechanism
	is that POV can handle it more gracefully than
	a general parse error message.

	One way to do this is to add a platform identifier
	tag in the scene, so that a different pov can detect
	scenes that arn't going to work.

	I'm well aware of this "sacred cow" of portability,
	but I do think that there are enough people asking
	for a plug-in architecture that it is worth finding
	a compromise.  Why bother with things like custom
	languages when you can use the language of your
	choice?

	The sky here is blue and clear - it is a beutiful
	summer day, eventhough it's officially autumn.
	Hopefully, I get to go to the beach tomorrow.

--
Nigel Stewart (nig### [at] nigelscom)
Research Student, Software Developer