POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Different error messages for same POV-file : Re: Different error messages for same POV-file Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different error messages for same POV-file
From: Ken
Date: 16 Mar 2000 18:10:24
Message: <38D169C7.81AB9F18@pacbell.net>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <38D15EDC.6F76A0B0@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
> wrote:
>
> > Chris Huff wrote:
> >
> > > I really wish POV-Ray would accept, if not require, semicolons at the
> > > end of declarations. It should be a simple modification to make, at
> > > least for someone who understands the declaration code(I don't).
> >
> > Why ?
>
> So we don't have to remember which times a semicolon is required?
> Currently, it is not consistant. You have to memorize the special
> cases:float, vector, color... It would be easier to just allow a
> semicolon at the end of every #declare and #local. If they were
> required, it might even simplify the parser and make things a little
> faster.

#declare Bob =
object {
  #declare Axel = box{-.5,.5}
  #declare Col1 = rgb<1,1,1>;
  #declare Col2 = rgb<0,0,0>;
  #declare XXX = pigment{checker color Col1 color Col2}

  #declare a = 0;
    #while (a<1)
      object{Axel translate a pigment{XXX}}
    #declare a=a+1;
  #end
}
;

object{Bob}

Which semi-colon closes the Bob declaration in the example above ?

I know it is obvious to us but this is a simple example which might
confuse the hell out of the parser.

Or do you make yet another special rule so that semi-colons don't
apply to declared objects and CSG operations because they already
use curly braces to define their ending ?

Does this make sense #declare foo = object {bar};  ?