POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions : Re: The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions
From: Nigel Stewart
Date: 16 Mar 2000 06:57:49
Message: <38D0CBE8.F06064DA@nigels.com>
> >   Povray is NOT a windows program.

	It isn't?  I wonder what I installed on my Windows NT box
	then...  A forgery?  A fake?

	Lets get serious.  When POV came out, the command line
	was the standard thing, DOS, UNIX, lowest common
	denominator.  Now we have a Windows GUI, a Mac GUI,
	but we're still running around talking about portability.

	That's silly.  The core should be kept portable,
	but people should be able to use current technology
	to get what they want out of POVray.

	It's possible to write platform independent code in
	C++ - but it's not enforced.  The same philosophy should
	apply to POV.

	Things like POV-CSDL - grafting an interpreted C'ish
	kind of thing onto POV - goes to show the extreme
	measures we'd need to enforce the portablity of
	pov scenes, while still not giving people what they
	really want - a true programmatic interface, in the
	language of their choice.

--
Nigel Stewart (nig### [at] nigelscom)
Research Student, Software Developer