POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 16 Mar 2000 01:44:52
Message: <38D08313.61BA11DA@ij.net>
Nigel Stewart wrote:

> > Yes, that would work...as long as you put everything at the start of the
> > scene. Which isn't always possible, with includes and macros for example.
>
> Here is a model which might be closer to a solution:
>
> One limitation of POV script is that it's not possible to
> pass values into it without editing the source.  There is
> no C-style main(int argc,char *argv[]) and no way to
> read environment variables.  In this sense, a pov scene
> is a void main(void) except that you can control the
> clock timer variable.

	I see this and the following but as a dumb question, why? What
does it buy the user other than a few lines of source code in
some unusual scene? A development cycle shortening?

	In my more interesting scenes again, the time to render exceeds
the time to think about. The time to think about exceeds the time
to type it in. In both cases replace exceeds with greatly
exceeds.

	I can see folks interested in more familiar syntax but if you
are stuck with only one syntax, pretty soon you are going to be
stuck with only one language and then where will you be?

--
A free internet for a free people.