POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Different error messages for same POV-file : Re: Different error messages for same POV-file Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different error messages for same POV-file
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 14 Mar 2000 22:35:42
Message: <38CF057C.6499B18E@peak.edu.ee>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> I have been a little bit worried about my use of semicolons.
>
> Earlier I have seen that too many missing semicolons can
> cause crashes of POV-Ray (on my Windows 98 machine at home,
> and if I remember right, also on my Windows NT4 machine at
> work).

This is new to me. You mean the machine crached? Or just POV quit parsing?
Usually, missing semi-colons should only produce warnings (at least in the
current version). Only in some macros have I seen actual errors caused by them.

> ... So now I am totally confused about semi-colons!

Semi-colons should only go after declarations of floats and vectors (colours can
also be thought of as vectors).
If you are declaring an array, it should not have a semi-colon:

#declare MyArray=array[10]

If the docs said otherwse, this is a typo. However, if you are declaring an
element of an array, and that element is a float or a vector, it should have a
semi-colon:

#declare MyArray[0]=11.5;

See docs section "Declaring identifiers" for further reference.

Margus