POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Different error messages for same POV-file : Re: Different error messages for same POV-file Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different error messages for same POV-file
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 14 Mar 2000 17:29:10
Message: <38CEBC39.582A511F@online.no>
Hello John

I too have got error messages pointing to the
wrong point in my code when my error(s) were
hidden somewhere earlier.

In these cases I just had to start commenting
out code, changing variable names and moving
things around until the error messages points
at my real error.

I suspect that this may also be the case here,
and I have therefore tried to play around with
my code before posting to this newsgroup... But
I haven't had any luck smoking out my(?) errors
yet.

But I have found out that if I replace the last
line of these four:

#declare QQi = array[3]
#declare QQi = Minv(MMi)

#declare RRi = array[3]
#declare RRi = Mmult(MMi, Minv(MMi))

with

#declare RRi = Mmult(MMi, QQi)

then the error messages disappear.

This may be my solution for this time, but the
problem still bothers me, because I want to be
able to replace macros like e.g. this one:

#macro Minv(MM)

  #local NN = array[3]
  #local PP = array[3]
  #local QQ = array[3]
  #local s = 1/Mdet(MM);
  #local NN = Mcof(MM)
  #local PP = Mtrans(NN)
  #local QQ = Mscale(s, PP)

  QQ

#end

with macors like this one:

#macro Minv(MM)

  Mscale(1/Mdet(MM), Mtrans(Mcof(MM)))

#end

Lately I have also found that it seems that
the more I do of the substitutions like the
one above, the more it seems likely that I
start getting those random changing error
messages I have described earlier.

(It seems like I can do some substitutions
without being punished.)

And now I don't know how to proceed in my
hunt for these errors.

Am I the only one who is getting changing
error messages when running the code I
enclosed in my initial posting?

Regards

Tor Olav