POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 13 Mar 2000 01:09:54
Message: <38CC8652.159C41C1@ij.net>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> In "The Art of Computer  Programming", Knuth uses a GOTO in one of the
> algorithms, simplifying things greatly.

	Does he use it in TWO algorithms? or just one?

	And what is his overall opinion of it?

	BTW: I think I went through that once and don't remember it.

	I do remember going through someone's Atari BASIC code once
trying to make sense of it. It was good. I even approached the
author with money for markeing if he could clean it up.

	He said he could not clean up his own code as the GOTOs were
workarounds of things "too hard" to correct rigorously. And the
problem with that the possibility of added functionality was as
dependent upon his memory as his ability.

	If his mind were off of it for a month, it was frozen code.

--
A free internet for free minds.