POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : While we are talking about changes : Re: While we are talking about changes Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While we are talking about changes
From: Ken
Date: 12 Mar 2000 15:51:47
Message: <38CC0243.2F0296E5@pacbell.net>
Simon de Vet wrote:

> No matter how much I work on it, it's always a struggle. Having a default
> I can scale is easier to understand. I can easily visualize a box scaled
> to <1, 2, 5>, but a box defined by corners <-0.5, -1, -2.5>  <0.5, 1,
> 2.5> is not something I can see in my mind.

Both methods require repetitious use before you become comfortable with
them. When I was first learning Pov I bounced back and forth between
various modellers I was evaluating and hand coding. Personally I found
more power in the hand coding environment but had I found a modeller
I was comfortable with I might have swung the other way. Regardless
I still think that with practice you would learn to use the various
control points of a box with the same ease that you do the scale feature
in your modeller of choice.

Besides defining a unit box is no more difficult than

box{-.5,.5}

Defining a unit sphere

sphere{0,1}

Defining unit cylinders you have a choice of which axis to align it to

cylinder {x*-.5, x*.5, 1}
cylinder {y*-.5, y*.5, 1}
cylinder {z*-.5, z*.5, 1}

etc.