POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: PoD
Date: 12 Mar 2000 14:12:12
Message: <38CBF274.4CE31ABF@merlin.net.au>
Ken wrote:

> Gilles Tran wrote:
>

> Good point(s). What I also fear is that if the programming language
> is extended in POV-Ray to include OO programming, for () loops, and
> all of the other programming suggestions that have been addressed
> in this thread, is what is going to happen when some non programming
> literate POV-User comes to the news groups seeking help and some
> programmer type gives them an example in the form of these new
> features ?

How many times have you seen someone ask
"I have nested #while loops and the inner one doesn't work" ?
This is a problem that would go away with for() loops.

I fully agree that programming features are just a part of POV-Ray, but
who doesn't appreciate the efforts of people like Chris Colefax.  How
much more productive would such #include writers be with better tools?

I also don't think anyone is advocating that the POV-team drop
development of the render engine in favour of the programming interface,
we all want faster, more realistic  renders with more features ;^)

Cheers, PoD.