POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Ken
Date: 12 Mar 2000 13:52:30
Message: <38CBE663.AE91661B@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Chris Huff <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> : But I am sure some people would consider it a needless complexity...
>
>   You are right. And I wonder why?
>   If someone adds some new object, pattern or other feature, everyone praises
> it and says "oohh... cool... great!". If someone even suggests adding something
> to the syntax, everyone is immediately saying "no, no, no!".

Like I said elsewhere you have a clear conflict between the Programmer
mentality and the User mentality. Programmers not only want to know how
it works but they also want to be able to force it to work as they want
it to.
  Users just want to be able to use it and don't care how it works. Users
want features that are easy to apply and the program takes care of the
details. Users want a big list of features to choose from without having
to do a big song and dance routine to get it to work.

Programming features are big song and dance routines !

That's how I see it anyway.