POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : While we are talking about changes : Re: While we are talking about changes Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While we are talking about changes
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 12 Mar 2000 09:58:31
Message: <38CBAF9C.7C199D2B@attglobal.net>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

>     How hard could it be to have POV primitives come with default values? So
> that if you simply wrote box{} you would get an unpigmented box of unit size
> at the origin. Since most people use a unit, at origin object, then scale
> and translate, it could save tons of typing.

Hum....  I do get your point and in some cases it could be a good idea,
but

box {
    scale < 2, 2, 2 >
    translate < 5, 5, 5 >
}

is actually more characters than

box {
    < 5, 5, 5 >
    < 7, 7, 7 >
}

>     Of course they should be able to be over-rode...

Of course, what's the use of default values if they can't be
over-ridden?

>     Most of the reason I use the insert menu is so that I don't have to type
> in the default values myself. Not sure how that would work on cones
> though...

Call me old school, but i prefer typing than getting my and hand over to
the mouse and select primitives from the menu.

Something I'd like to be able to do is automatically place objects
relative to others without having to do all the trig myself, but I guess
that could go in a modeler.  The POV-team probably has enough headaches
to resolve as it is.

--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
     flabreq      | terrestrial intelligence is that they never