POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question about bicubic patches : Re: Question about bicubic patches Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about bicubic patches
From: John VanSickle
Date: 10 Mar 2000 21:28:54
Message: <38C9B1E1.DF6B1B21@erols.com>
David Curtis wrote:

> Questions, questions, questions, ...
>
> I've just read from the docs that POV converts the bicubic patch into
> triangles. My question is why? It seems obvious that it must have something
> to do with computation time, and the fact that there is no great advantage
> to spending the time calculating a intersection point for every ray. Does
> that sound right?

Yes.

A bicubic patch would have to be represented by a sixth-degree polynomial.
There are methods to calculate ray-surface intersections with a sixth-
degree surface, but they are slow and imprecise.  In most cases a bicubic
patch, with u_steps and v_steps set to three, provides just as good an
end product, but renders far more quickly.

Regards,
John