POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Engineering : Re: Engineering Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Engineering
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 6 Mar 2000 07:23:14
Message: <38C3A23A.9321E273@my-dejanews.com>
It also depends alot on your university. Go with the best department within your
college of engineering.

If your interests are flexible enough between several options, go with the
department that has the best reputation, the most up to date labs, etc.  I have a
pretty good job now, working for IBM. But at the time I chose my major, I
schlumped into one of the worst departments at my university. Mind you, there are
world class geniuses in other universities in materials science who are solving
great problems of mankind, but I ended up choosing the department that at my
university attracted the lower cut of students because it was perceived to be
easier.  I was harmed slightly by it. I had grades to get in anywhere.  I should
have either done materials at a world-class university or done some other,
world-class department at my university.

Don't fall for the do-what-you-love borscht.  You can do what you love ANYWAY, but
will be better prepared and compensated if you choose a top-notch department.