POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can someone explain some things to me? : Re: Can someone explain some things to me? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone explain some things to me?
From: Ken
Date: 25 Feb 2000 04:18:02
Message: <38B64828.F1A68C89@pacbell.net>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> TonyB wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to make a forest with some Gilles Tran trees, and I
> > have 5 different trees which I place in different ways. I have some with a
> > recursion (is this the correct word?) of 3, and those go in the background,
> > some with 4 that go in the foreground and some with 6 that go right in the
> > front. When I put them all together the big slowdown happens. Individually
> > and they all parse pretty quickly. I don't get it.
>
> I never had much success using more than 3 trees in the same scene (sent the
> hard drive into trashing frenzy), but perhaps you could try bounding each tree
> using the box statement provided at the end of the *.inc files. This box is
> there to assist tree placement, but I guess it could be used for manual
> bounding.
> I hope this helps.
> G.

I imagine with as many objects as the tree macro produces a LOT of bounding
boxes must be computed. It will sure help with the final render time but
the parse time suffers as a result. The amount of time to compute the light
buffers will also increase when there are many objects present in a scene.
Manual bounding might help with this but be sure to turn off automatic
bounding if you do or POV might just ignore your bounding.