POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SUGGESTION: p.b.ptoc, a new contest : SUGGESTION: p.b.ptoc, a new contest Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  SUGGESTION: p.b.ptoc, a new contest
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 24 Feb 2000 09:26:33
Message: <38B53EA7.3AF2E4A1@my-dejanews.com>
To continue the discussion earlier re: pov's server filling up and
needing to trim binaries occasionally.
p.b.i   Subject:         What happened       Date:             Fri, 18
Feb 2000 08:16:08 -0800

Many thought that the current copyright disclaimer on this server does
not fully protect the pov team should they ever decide to sell a CD of
this work.  Fair enough.

1)  Could the team set up a new newsgroup, and call it
povray.binaries.povrayteamownscopyright ?
      Then the team could sell a CD of this work!

2)  Would this invite lower quality work, portfolio dumps, and everyone
acting like a little kid at the pool who says, "Mommy, watch me do this!
Watch me do this! Watch me do this!" ?
        Currently, many contributors probably feel a great deal of
self-restraint.     I know that I ought only upload some of my best work
(believe it or not!), given that I will eventually fill up a server
maintained for free by volunteers, and cause other's works to be
dumped.  If I knew a CD were to be sold with everything I uploaded, I
might not have the same degree of restraint.

Hmm. perhaps it could be like an IRTC contest, where everyone votes,
and, say only the top 600 entries get kept!  The Pov-Team could also put
banner ads on the voting pages to help defray costs!