POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What should gamma be? : Re: What should gamma be? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What should gamma be?
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 23 Feb 2000 15:41:56
Message: <38B44806.1D488514@kivisalo.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> 1) Are yall running your monitors all day long with max contrast &
> brightness?

Here is a test image for correct adjustments. Make sure that the
viewer doesn't apply any corrections.
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~kkivisal/adjust.gif

The image was ripped from Nokia's fine monitor test software.
http://www.nokia.com/monitors/download/ntest.html

Note that contrast is really the brightness adjustment and brighness
is actually black level. When room light level changes adjust
contrast only to compensate. When changing desktop resolution or
refresh rate readjusting is needed.

> 2) What gamma SHOULD I shoot for?

It seems that gamma 2.2 is the new standard for Internet. If your
display adapter has gamma adjustment you can measure the gamma
with the POV gamma image and then enter your_gamma/2.2 to the gamma
control panel. Then adjust with adjust.gif. Now your monitor simulates
gamma 2.2 monitor. Test it again with the POV gamma image to be sure.
Then you can put Display_Gamma=2.2 to your master povray.ini.

> My problem is that I think I'm a bit darker than everyone else, and want
> an objective, numerical way to standardize my viewing settings.

I'm so glad that someone actually worries about this :)

The only way to do it objectively is to use a luminance meter
to get the actual response of the monitor and go from there
but using the gamma test image is a step in the right direction.

Kari Kivisalo                                          www.kivisalo.net