POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request for next release : Re: Feature request for next release Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request for next release
From: Ken
Date: 20 Feb 2000 18:17:39
Message: <38B075C3.9A748984@pacbell.net>
Glen Berry wrote:

> So you have never used an image map that was based upon a JPEG file? I
> dare say, that most of the people who have used image maps have done
> this on occaision. It can turn out perfectly fine. The JPEG artifacts
> of a potential source image aren't always a noticeable factor in the
> final quality of a rendered image. In fact, I would say that *most* of
> the time they aren't a problem at all.

I have in fact used image_maps that were originaly based on a jpeg image.

In all cases when I converted them to a suitable format that POV-Ray
would accept I also spent time running the image through processing
filters to enhance the quality of the image. This was done of course
to remove undesirable characteristics of the image produced by the
jpeg compression methods.